Tweet Tweet

    follow me on Twitter

    Wednesday 12 March 2008

    Birthday Beers With Nobby


    It was my birthday yesterday. I don't believe in working on my birthday, not that I'm that keen on other days, but at least it's an excuse to formally have a day off.

    Calling on my wife's good nature in driving me to a decent pub, we went to The Ward Arms in Guilsborough which is owned by Nobby of Nobby's Brewery. This 17th Century pub is the only one remaining in the village and it is clear that it is the hub of the community even if on this Tuesday lunchtime we were the only customers from 2pm. It is a lovely looking building from the outside, and is homely and welcoming on the inside. There are essentially two drinking areas; sofas and seats around the bar; and a raised games area with pool, darts and a plasma television. There is also a dining area which is completely separate. A garden completes the available drinking locations.

    At weekends there are apparently eight real ales available, and sensibly in midweek there are less. On my visit there were four; three from Nobbys and one from Steamin Billy, brewed at Tower. I had two of the Nobbys beers which although unspectacular were nice enough session beers. I have given Nobby's beers Beer Of The Month awards before such is the quality of some of his stuff.

    Nobby's intention is to install a brewhouse on the premises and builders and structural engineers have been consulted so plans are moving forward, albeit not as fast as he would like. In the meantime beers are still being brewed at Kettering in the cellar of the award winning Alexandra Arms.

    I will be paying the pub return visits; hopefully it will be busier next time!

    1 comment:

    Stonch said...

    "I don't believe in working..."

    Bloody hell, you're a union man and no mistake! ;-)

    Happy Birthday!