Tweet Tweet

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday 18 November 2008

    Pubs Are For The Community


    I had a very interesting and emlightening day last Thursday. My employers were holding a diversity week, part of which involved a cultural tour of Leicester. As part of this tour I visited a hindu temple, followed by a mosque.

    Never having set foot in either ever before, I wasn't sure what to expect, and there was a little trepidation. What I did experience though, was a warm welcome in both places and a real sense of the venues being meeting places which served the needs of their communities.

    Returning home that evening I went to the pub. The pub, which I had never visited before was an estate pub, albeit a nice estate, and was very busy, especially so for a Thursday. There was a poker tournament going on, darts and pool being played in the bar, and (and this is the reason I went), a demonstration outside by a cooper from Theakstons. There was a real warm welcome here and a true feeling of community.

    I'm not for one second suggesting that pubs are like churches, but in many ways they do the same job. It's where you meet like-minded people and make new friends. You are welcomed, even as a stranger, and maybe afterwards as a regular.

    We are losing pubs by the dozen in this country. Hopefully for the most part it is the poor ones, and those which provide a sanctuary from all the crap in the World will be allowed to flourish.

    1 comment:

    Shey said...

    I love the idea of my local bringing round a cooper for a demonstration. I think 'events' like these really make a pub part of the community.
    I am part of the Amersham pool league and so trundle around the Chiltern area on a Monday night to play pool. It is evident that the pubs who make an effort to get local people in by providing for a pool team, darts team, and now poker leagues, for example, are the ones doing well.
    It is the ones that don't have any of these facilities that change landlords regularly, and are sadly shutting down.
    I am not saying pool, darts, and cards, are the answers, but having a reason for someone to get off their sofa and go out to the pub will help that pub to keep going, and hopefully flourish.