Tweet Tweet

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday 7 August 2007

    Hobsons Mild - Champion Beer Of Britain


    The Campaign For Real Ale has announced that Hobsons Mild is this year's Champion Beer Of Britain. This is a fantastic acheivement for the Shropshire based brewery which commenced brewing in 1993.

    The last time a mild won the award was in 2000 when Moorhouse's Black Cat won. Since that time the award has gone in each year to pale hoppy beers.

    Second this year was Mighty Oak Maldon Gold(a pale hoppy beer!!), and third was Green Jack Ripper, an 8.5% barley wine.

    It's been a fair few years since I've had Hobsons Mild but when I last did I had a fair few pints in The Castle Hotel in Bishops Castle at a ridiculously cheap price. I recall it to be a lovely flavoursome mild, especially bearing in mind its low ABV (3.2%). Recent ratings on RateBeer have been fairly positive and it will be interesting to look at ratings in the months following the award. My warmest congratulations go to Hobsons, and I am pleased that this year's judges went against the recent trend of golden ales. The full list of award winners can be found here.

    1 comment:

    Anonymous said...

    Boy, am I bored of "golden ales". They're often just astringent, yellow and bitter, unlike the beer that inspired them, Summer Lightning, which is really rounded and tasty.