Tweet Tweet

    follow me on Twitter

    Monday 19 November 2007

    Burnley Micro To Advertize On Television


    Moorhouse's Brewery of Burnley, England is about to become the smallest brewery in the UK to advertize on television. Moorhouse's is not a new brewery; they were established in 1865 so have proved some decent longevity, and it seems strange that they feel the need to do such a thing. I'm not sure how beneficial advertizing is in the microbrewery world, but nonetheless wish them well and hope it reaps rewards.

    They brew pretty good beer. Black Cat won Champion Beer Of Britain in 2000, and was the first mild so to do. I had a half only last week and it was very decent. I have also enjoyed Pendle Witches Brew many times.

    Time will tell if this campaign will lead to other micros following suit. I will watch with interest.

    5 comments:

    The Beer Nut said...

    Strange indeed. I remember reading a brewpub menu a few years ago which advised "Never drink a beer that's advertised on television". I think that's pretty good advice.

    However, if they are doing well enough to be able to afford this kind of expense, then fair play to them, as long as they don't start cutting corners to pay the ad man.

    I wasn't impressed at all by Black Cat. Lacking in substance, I thought. Any milder and it wouldn't exist.

    Stonch said...

    Very interesting - I'm going to have a think about this.

    Oh, and Mark - why are you writing in American English?

    Kieran Haslett-Moore said...

    Black Cat is the best bottled mild I have ever had, good stuff.
    When I tried Pendles Witchs Brew it had some pretty nasty technical faults and ended up going down the sink.
    It does seem an odd move for a small brewery.

    Mark Edwards said...

    I've only drank Moorhouses products from the cask not bottled. I suspect they are at their best in this format.

    And Stonch, I think the letter "z" is underused in our country so I promote its use wherever possible ;-)

    Stonch said...

    Ok, I'll let you off as long as you don't pronounce it "zee"!