Tweet Tweet

    follow me on Twitter

    Wednesday 28 November 2007

    Duke Of Bronte - NOT The Strongest Bottled Beer In UK


    Old Bear Brewery in Keighley, England has bottled its 12.5% beer Duke Of Bronte. This beer has been seen cask conditioned, but has now been bottled "for the beer connoisseurs ".

    It's good to see brewers being proud of their products, and challenging the 'wine is better than beer' snobbery, and for that I commend Ian Cowling.

    Having a love of strong beers as I do, it's certainly the type of beer I will keep an eye out for. However (there's usually a however!) I am concerned at their misconception that this is the "strongest bottled ale in the country". They clearly have never heard of Shoes Farriers Beer.

    9 comments:

    Nicolino said...

    I´ve a Shoe´s in my stash courtesy of Gazza. I´m eager to try it, but will wait till next (southern emisphere) winter...

    Anonymous said...

    I´ve a Shoes in my stash (courtesy of Gazza), but I´m holding to it till next (south empishere) winter...

    Stonch said...

    They've sent me a bottle of this so will review it at some point. The label is home made (laser printer and prittstick by the looks of it!) so it obviously hasn't been properly released yet.

    Mark Edwards said...

    Duke Of Bronte is on the Pigs Ear list. I may get to try it tomorrow.

    Anonymous said...

    The label on the bottle of Duke of Bronte that Stonch was kindly sent is currently being revised; and it wasn't put on with Prittstick. The beer is bottled in Halifax by a social initiative. It is "properly released" and from what I understand is selling very well.

    Anonymous said...

    If you read the link via "proud" the article states the beer is thought to be the UK's strongest; it's not claiming that it is.

    Mark Edwards said...

    The opening line of that article is:

    A Keighley brewery has produced what it claims to be the strongest bottled ale in the country.

    Seems like a claim to me.

    Anonymous said...

    well i tried it and a sip was enough for me.

    Anonymous said...

    the stench that eminated when the bottle was opened, unforgettable.