Tweet Tweet

    follow me on Twitter

    Thursday 1 November 2007

    Today I Went To The Pub


    Today is the first day of November. To celebrate, I went to the pub. Nothing unusual in that I hear you cry, BUT, I didn't visit a public house at all during October, and hence did not drink cask beer in all that time. Of course, I have had bigger fish to fry but in truth that didn't stop me going to the pub. When my first daughter was born we went (with her in her pram) to Leicester Beer Festival when she was just 17 days old.

    To be truthful I just fancied a wee break from the pub. It's not about refraining from alcohol; I don't feel the need to do that. I know of someone who doesn't drink at all each January. I would never take to such extreme measures.

    I guess the fact that I've not been to work since October 3rd has meant that I've been spoiled staying at home, and have just enjoyed doing so. However, sadly I return to work tomorrow, and am due trips to both Leicester and Nottingham next week so trips to the pub are definitely back on the cards.

    For those interested in such things, I drank Burton Bridge Speedy Sturmy and Dow Bridge Praetorian Porter. Neither were that special, but they were a gentle reintroduction to pub life!!

    The picture at the top, by the way, is what the pub I visited looked like many years ago. Pretty attractive wouldn't you say?

    1 comment:

    Stonch said...

    Recently I've gone four or five day periods without entering a pub, but never a month! My reasoning is always that if I fancy a beer, I might as well walk down the street to the local and have it there. As such I rarely crack open bottles at home. When I do, it's usually for review.