Tweet Tweet

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday 20 November 2007

    Speight's London Beerhouse


    Some months ago I wrote about the New Zealand pub which was en route for London. It arrived some time ago and ThisisLondon like it. They were expecting "pissy gassy lager" but instead get a choice of five Speight's beers which they clearly think don't match that description. The only Speight's beer I've had is the amusingly named Gold Medal Ale which certainly tasted like a pissy lager to me. This seems to be the best seller with the journalists favourite being Old Dark.

    The Speight's website says there are four beers rather than five with the others being Pilsener and Distinction Ale so perhaps the journos mistook an alcopop for a beer of something!

    It's unlikely I will get there but if you do, let us know what you think.

    2 comments:

    Stonch said...

    I met the Lion Nathan rep at the GBBF trade session, and she was raving about this. Really friendly girl. I pretended I was excited by it. In fairness, it's a brilliant idea. Hats off to them.

    Kieran Haslett-Moore said...

    I have said what I think here
    http://themothersmilk.blogspot.com/2007/10/saving-kiwis-overseas-from-experiance.html

    The whole thing makes me angry.

    The Pils is passible, and if there were 5 beers then perhaps the Porter was on which is actually pretty decent.

    They are all lagers of course, I was in a situation where due to dismal choice I ended up drinking Old Dark last night, its a lager with caramel added, a vague relationship to a mild I guess.