Tweet Tweet

    follow me on Twitter

    Saturday 1 December 2007

    Czech This Quadruppelbock Out


    A Czech brewery is launching a 21% beer. Not surprisingly, at this strength, it is dark and as it is a Czech beer, it's bottom fermented. It is described as a doppel doppel bock. So that'll be a quadruppelbock then?!

    It will hardly come as a shock that they are looking to export it to USA who get all the good beers in both senses of the word.

    This doesn't seem like the type of beer which would be too popular in its homeland but will appear to beer geeks the World over. I doubt very much though that we will see it in the UK sadly.


    3 comments:

    Stonch said...

    I might be wrong (haven't looked into it) but I'd imagine this beer would be 21 degrees plato, not 21% alcohol.

    If that's the case, this won't be super-duper strong and might leave the beer geeks gasping for more! I tried a 12.6% abv beer (33 degrees plato, I believe) at U Medvidku, a tiny micro in Prague. The brewer was very proud of it, and I must say it was enjoyable. He claims its the strongest commercial beer in the country and I think he's probably right.

    Having said all that the strength of Czech beer - like English beer - is the relatively low gravities and the predominance of sociable, draught beer over bottled.

    Mark Edwards said...

    But if it were 21 degrees PLATO then I doubt they would describe it as a doppel doppel bock. After all this beer is 24 degrees plato and merely described as a double bock.

    Stonch said...

    As I said, maybe I'm wrong. However, I very much doubt a Czech brewer would attempt a novelty-strength beer like that (far too sensible) and if one did, I doubt it would be Drinks Union.