Tweet Tweet

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday 18 December 2007

    It's Christmas, Let's Put The Prices Up


    A couple of days ago Tandleman wrote an interesting piece on his blog about Christmas beers and how they rarely differ from regular all year round beers.

    I fully agreed with him. With a few exceptions they are ordinary beers with a seasonal name and a fancy pump clip.

    Today though I realised something else about beers with Christmas names: Wetherspoons can put their prices up. Just last month the guest ales cost £1.59 a pint. However my half of Grainstore Three Kings, another unseasonal beer cost me 90p. That's a colossal rise of 20 pence a pint. I'm convinced they get away with it because your average customer does feel Christmas beers are a bit special.

    Are Christmas guest ales dearer in your local JDW? I'd be interested to know.

    1 comment:

    Stonch said...

    Wetherspoons could reduce their prices to 50p a pint or put them up to a fiver for all I care! I'd still tend to avoid their drinking barns!