Tweet Tweet

    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday 9 December 2007

    The Best Of Winter Pubs


    There's a nice piece in today's Sunday Times written by Roger Protz in which he describes his favourite ten British pubs for the Winter. It's a list which takes in pubs the length and breadth of mainland Britain, no doubt to appease readers from all over.

    The best pubs are good all year round but some come into their own in the colder months either because of a wonderful log fire or a particularly good selection of Winter fare, be it alcohol or food. Roger only specifically mentions these things in a couple of cases and seems to concentrate on good walkers' pubs or those which are pretty damn good all year round.

    I've only been to one of the ten pubs mentioned: The Old Dungeon Ghyll in Cumbria, and it was at the end of a longish walk in December. It's a good pub but I don't see that it's necessarily better in Winter. Much better is The Britannia just a few miles away in Elterwater which has a roaring fire or two for those freezing cold nights, as well as a good range of real ales.

    It's worth attempting to visit all the pubs on Roger's list whatever time of year it is as I'm sure they are all lovely.

    It definitely seems to be the case that Winter is with us. Only on Friday at one of my locals, I sat next to my first fire of the season. You just can't beat it.

    3 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Thanks for this. Interesting that they're all rural - I guess more likely to have that log fire.

    I was just thinking about my favourite London pubs at Christmas (which aren't necessarily my favourite London pubs) - might do a post on that sometime.

    Stonch said...

    My favourite London pub in winter? Probably The Holly Bush in Hampstead. It's got the lot.

    Kieran Haslett-Moore said...

    You are all very lucky, im over our summer already, hot, sticky and sleepless.