Tweet Tweet

    follow me on Twitter

    Wednesday 6 February 2008

    Northants Pub Event Forced Outdoors


    A traditional event which has taken place in a Northamptonshire pub was forced outside yesterday after more than 100 years taking part inside by the warmth of the fireside. The Bull in Harpole holds an annual pipe smoking competition with the aim being to smoke one pipeload of tobacco in the longest time possible.

    Of course with the English smoking ban now in force, the event was forced outside under a temporarily erected gazebo. And with tradition stating the event occurs on Shrove Tuesday, the weather is not exactly friendly either.

    I must admit that the smell of a pipe is a damn site more pleasant than cigarettes, and if I remember I may try to get there next year to give a first hand account on these pages. I shan't be entering though.

    5 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Whilst I wholeheartedly support the smoking ban you'd hope there was an option to take in the odd eccentricity like this.

    Mark Edwards said...

    It does seem a shame Paul that a quaint tradition like this has to be forced outside, but the law is such that precedents must not be set.

    Unknown said...

    I love pipe smoke - turning 40 this year, I'm almost convinced it's time I started to smoke one.

    But perhaps they should have just cut to the chase and gone for a snuff-sniffing comp instead? Still legal indoors and the only passive effect is when you sneeze your brain out after ingesting a nostrilful of stuff that's redolent of old socks and fibreglass.

    Magic!

    The Beer Nut said...

    the aim being to smoke one pipeload of tobacco in the longest time possible
    That is chuffing brilliant. I'd love to have a go at that some year, and wouldn't mind at all it being outside. The colder it is, the harder for the less able competitors.

    Back inside, Grandad, the trophy's mine! *puff*

    The Beer Nut said...

    And Haddonsman, I've been a pipe-smoker since I was 25. You're never too young to start.

    I went through a snuff phase as well (peer pressure). Never really took to it, though.