Tweet Tweet

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday 12 June 2007

    Hogs Back Visit


    My latest trip out was to Hogs Back Brewery Shop. The brewery can be found in the village of Tongham, just off the A31 Farnham to Guildford road. The road is called the Hogs Back!

    The brewery was born on August 4th 1992, and has grown pretty rapidly since then and has met with pretty decent success culminating in its 9% barley wine: A over T, winning CAMRA's Champion Winter Beer of Britain in 2006. I have followed Hogs Back's success from the start as the brewery is situated just a few miles from my place of birth.

    They have built up a huge reputation in their neighbourhood with their beers guesting all over the Surrey/Hampshire borders area, and, of course, beyond. But what has put them particularly in the public's eye is their shop, situated within their premises. The shop sells all their available draught beers in quantities as little as 4 pints, as well as draught ciders from local producer Mr Whiteheads. The off licence always seems to be busy with people buying carry outs for home consumption, whether it be a night in front of the tele, or a party or function.

    What is of particular interest to me though is the bottled beers they sell. They stock in excess of 150 different beers, mostly from the UK, but with a small range from Europe and further afield. The foreign beers are well chosen and I have found Westvleteren there in the past, albeit three or four years ago. I would certainly recommend going there if in the vicinity, and if you live local, to support them by buying their draught ales. For me it's an extra excuse to go visit my family who still live nearby

    1 comment:

    Stonch said...

    I enjoyed cask A over T, but I've not liked any of their other beers...