Tweet Tweet

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday 8 June 2007

    Tastier Heineken (not)


    Apparently a 2cm head on your glass of Heineken will make it taste better!

    The company are therefore advocating drinking their lager in UK pubs, in oversized half pint glasses with plenty of room for the head. There appear to be no plans to introduce oversized pint glasses, and campaign bosses are trying to encourage more people to drink the smaller measures.

    My cynical mind tells me that the beer will soon enough be served with a huge head in a pint glass meaning a less than adequate (and legal) pint will be served. Let's face it, most male lager drinkers drink pints and wouldn't be seem dead drinking 'girly halves'

    So this is just a clever plot to get more beer out of each barrel!

    And I'm not even going to cover the ridiculous claim that the head will add to the flavour experience!!

    3 comments:

    Stonch said...

    I'm not sure I agree. One of the main reasons I never drink lager in the UK is that pubs serve it like a pint of England ale - in a pint glass designed for real ale, with little or no head. That isn't how lager is served in the European areas that originated the style, and for good reason.

    Drinking beer is a sensual experience, and unless you drink with your eyes closed and a peg on your nose, other things matter aside from just the taste of the liquid in the glass.

    Heineken simply isn't a good beer, but I enjoyed it far more when I was in Amsterdam, correctly carbonated and served elegantly in a "fluitje" glass with a voluminous head.

    Of course Heineken's move is all about marketing, but I don't see anything wrong with it to be honest.

    Mark Edwards said...

    I can see your point Stonch, but that glass of beer you bought in Amsterdam was probably less than the 25cl you were paying for because of the voluminous head. I think the marketeers are going to advocate short measures to pint drinkers because of the need for the head. But the point of the original article I quoted from is that the beer will taste better. I really don't think so!

    Cheers.

    Stonch said...

    I think lager with a proper head does taste better! And, anyway, for me beer is an all-round sensory experience. I drink with my eyes and my nose as well as with my taste buds. There's something wonderfully elegant about a stemmed half-pint of lager with a voluminous head, and something repulsive about a flat pint in an English-style nonick glass.

    As for short measures, I don't think that's the case. In many European countries - including NL, I think - lined glasses are used, so you can see if you've been given a short measure. Better than the situation here, where beer is sold in pints but there's no room in the glass for the head.

    In all honesty I'd rather have a slightly short pint with a proper head than one's that's entirely flat, although ideally a lined glass would be used so I can have the best of both world.